The sustainable, time-saving benefits of Biodegradable CowPots™ are a boon to nurseries, greenhouses, and farms. First, these biodegradable plant pots are made from fertilizing cow manure, so they enrich the soil as they break down. You don’t need to transplant the plants because the roots just grow right out of the softening biodegradable plant pots, eating up the resulting natural fertilizer as they take hold in the surrounding soil. There is no peat in these pots, and you also totally avoid creating plastic waste. The 3-inch square Cow Pots are used for herbs, vegetables or any annual intended for quick turnaround from seeding to transplanting. Loosely fits 18 to a 1020 tray. To get wholesale CowPots™, request a quote.
How to Grow in Biodegradable CowPots™
Here are a few hints and growing suggestions to get the most out of your Biodegradable CowPots™ and be on your way to a sustainable growing operation.
- Sow or Transplant Seeds directly into the Biodegradable Pots
- Water (top or bottom watered) and fertilize your seeds and plants as you would in any other plant pot
- Manure naturally retains moisture, so less watering will be possible. You will want to give the pot time to harden between watering. (dark brown color when the pot is wet; light brown color time to water)
- Pot performance and plant health improve with a little space left between pots for maximum air circulation
- Biodegradable CowPots™ are fragile while wet, so handle when the pot is dry
- Plant the Biodegradable CowPots™ directly into the soil when seedlings are ready for planting. Cover the entire pot with soil and then water
Biodegradable CowPots™ last for months above ground, but once you have transplanted the entire pot into the soil, the manure begins to quickly degrade. The Biodegradable CowPots™ are 100% biodegradable.
Decomposition of Biodegradable CowPots™
Break down will begin within weeks of transplanting into the soil. As long as they are completely buried when planted, they should almost be completely decomposed by the end of the growing season. Factors that affect the rate of decomposition include moisture and bioactivity in your soil. Sandy soils and soils with few microorganisms typically display slower rates of decomposition. But not to worry. Roots will still grow through the biodegradable pot walls even if not completely decomposed. If you would like to enrich your soils to improve plant growth as well as increase the rate of decomposition, try applying our microbial root stimulant solution
CowPot Container Choices
We carry a full line of Biodegradable CowPots™ in different shapes and sizes (always available to discuss custom size requirements and prototyping) including:3” Square Biodegradable CowPots
– 12 cu in volume3” Round Biodegradable Plant Pots
– 16 cu in volume4” Square Wholesale Biodegradable Pots
– ½ quart volume4” Round Tall Peat Pot Alternatives
– 5/6 quart volume4” Square Tall Zero Plant Waste Pots
– ¾ quart volume5” Square Cow Dung Pots
– 1/3 gallon volume5" Round Cow Poop Pots
- 1/4 gallon volume6” Square Manure Pots
– ½ gallon volume6” Round Wholesale Bulk CowPots
– 1/3 gallon volume7” Square Bulk Biodegradable Pots
– ¾ gallon volume12” Square Large Biodegradable Pots
– 2.2 gallon volume
How long will the Biodegradable CowPots™ last?
CowPots™ are formed to last up to 3 months above ground in greenhouse growing conditions. Once planted, they will begin to break down completely in the soil.
Do I need to prep the Biodegradable CowPots™ before transplanting them into the soil? No.
Do the Cow Pots smell? Ha! Nope.
Is special soil or grow media required? Nope. Just fill your Biodegradable CowPots with good quality, sterile potting soil for seed starting.
How do I handle the CowPots? Recently watered CowPots (noted by their dark brown color) will easily tear if you lift by the ‘lip’. Using a tray makes it much easier to move wet cow manure pots. When dry (light brown color) the plant pots are sturdy.
Is fertilizer needed? Yes. CowPots do not take the place of fertilizers. Follow your normal feeding protocol.