Root circling and water use are key items of interest to nurseries. The Rootmaker®
grow bags stop root circling and stimulate root branching by root-tip trapping. A dense, fibrous root system is the result that reduces shock to trees and plants when it comes times to transplant. When comparing water loss from various plant containers, conventional black plastic pots use 1.5 times more water than a white RootTrapper®
container of the same size. A black, porous fabric pot will use 3.2 times more water than a white RootTrapper®
plant container. The difference in usage is due to root-zone temperature and evaporation. You will only need to water every 2-3 days in a Rootmaker®
grow bag because of the slow seeping of water.
RootMaker® RootTrapper® Fabric Grow Bag Construction
grow bag is constructed of a synthetic bi-layer fabric on both the sidewall and base. The inside of the grow bag is a wooly needle felt. The density of this fabric prevents excessive water seepage which allows the plant roots to absorb water and nutrients more efficiently. This equates to time and dollar savings to the grower as less watering is required and any nutrients added to the watering cycle are kept with the plant instead of pouring out of the pot onto the surrounding ground. The exterior of the grow bag is laminated with a white polypropylene coating that keeps the roots cool and protected from sun and summer heat. This patented design traps the roots within the container signaling to the plant to grow more lateral roots.
RootMaker® Fabric Grow Bags vs Porous Fabric Grow Pots
Containers made of porous fabric have been studied and found to have water loss rates two to three times greater than conventional plastic pots. This is due to 100% of the circumference evaporating water and not just the surface. In addition, the porous fabric containers turned green with algae near the bottom and white with salts above. The soluble salts come from fertilizers used in the growth medium and irrigation water. By comparison, the RootTrapper®
patented fabric material openings make up less than 2% of the sidewall.
Root Trapper® Bags Offerings
The Root Trapper®
bags are available in five different styles to accommodate various production set-ups, plant species and growing environments:
1. Root Trapper® Grow Bags – Bi-layer fabric sidewall and base. Most efficient water conservation design. Available from 5” up to 500-gallon capacity.
2. Root Trapper® II Grow Bags – Bi-layer fabric sidewall EXCEPT for the bottom 2”. Only the felt fabric is exposed at the bottom 2” which will increase drainage and aeration. This will not cause excessive evaporation or water loss. Base is bi-layer fabric. Available from 5” up to 300-gallon capacity.
3. Root Trapper® Grounder™ Grow Bags – Bi-layer fabric sidewall with porous knit base. This allows roots to penetrate and tack to the ground to greatly reduce blow over and reclaim some water and nutrient runoff. Available from 3-gallon up to 60-gallon capacity.
4. Root Trapper® In-Pot Grow Bags - Bi-layer fabric sidewall and base. Custom-made to fit the dimensions of your socket pot. Available from 3-gallon up to 45-gallon capacity.
5. Pot Licker® Grow Bags - Bi-layer fabric sidewall no base material under 15 gallons, above 15 gallons bi-layer fabric base. Use as inserts of above-ground in-pot use. Available from 1-gallon up to 45-gallon capacity.